A statement issued by White House Press Secretary Jay Carney on Wednesday said the U.S. "strongly condemns" the suicide bomb attack on the National Theater in the Somali capital of Mogadishu that killed at least seven people.
"Somalia, with the support of African Union peacekeepers, has made great strides in the past months to improve security and rebuild Mogadishu after two decades of civil strife," Carney said in the statement.
He added, "Al-Shabaab's attack on the newly reopened National Theater is another sign that it is standing in the way of Somalia's path to peace and stability, and demonstrates why it is being rejected by the Somali people."
A young woman, suspected to be an al-Shabaab militant, detonated an explosive device attached to her body at Somalia's National Theater, which was reopened last month, reports said.
The President of Somalia's National Olympic Committee, Aden Yabarow Wiish, and the Somali Football Federation chief, Said Mohamed Nur, were among the victims.
Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali and other Ministers survived the attack carried out during a ceremony held to mark the first anniversary of the launch of Somalia's TV station.
Al-Shabaab militants, who previously controlled large parts of the country, including Mogadishu, had threatened further terror strikes after targeting the presidential palace on March 14th.
Carney said the U.S. remains committed to the people of Somalia and assisting them in countering al-Shabaab's violence and in returning peace to their country.
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org