logo
Share SHARE
FONT-SIZE Plus   Neg

Manitoba Telecom Services Updates On Pension Lawsuit - Quick Facts

Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (MBT.TO) announced that on February 11, 2012, the Manitoba Court of Appeal ruled in its favour on a lawsuit regarding one of its Manitoba pension plans.

The litigation was commenced by a group of plaintiffs consisting of unions and retirees in respect of events that occurred starting in 1996, in advance of the Company's privatization.

In dismissing all of the plaintiffs' claims, Manitoba's highest Court confirmed that the Company complied with all of its legal obligations and has no liability to the plaintiffs, Manitoba Telecom Services said.

Today, the plaintiff group asked the Supreme Court of Canada for permission to appeal this decision. The company said that it will challenge today's request vigorously.

The Supreme Court is expected to announce whether it will grant the plaintiff group leave to appeal in the second half of 2012. Should the Supreme Court agree to hear this appeal, the Company and its external counsel believe that the Supreme Court would simply affirm the decision of the Manitoba Court of Appeal, though any decision would not be expected until the end of 2013 or the first half of 2014. There would be no expected cash or accounting impact to the Company during such period, Manitoba Telecom Services noted.

by RTT Staff Writer

For comments and feedback: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Quick Facts

Editors Pick
HSBC is reportedly laying off about 100 of its senior investment bankers worldwide, as the banking giant strives to curb operating costs. According to reports, the London-headquartered bank will eliminate managing director and director level employees at the Global Banking and Markets division, as... Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (SMSN.L, SSNNF.OB, SSNLF.OB) will reportedly blame faulty batteries for last year's Galaxy Note 7 fiasco. According to a Wall Street Journal report, Samsung's investigation of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones found that some batteries were irregularly sized while others had... Federal investigators have closed their probe of a fatal crash that involved a Tesla Motors Inc. car eight months ago. The regulators said they have found no safety defects in the vehicle's automated driving system and that Tesla's Autopilot-enabled vehicles did not need to be recalled.
comments powered by Disqus
Follow RTT