Afghan President Hamid Karzai has criticized Afghan and NATO authorities for allowing a militant-led assault on Kabul Monday morning.
Karzai was pleased that Afghan forces killed the final members of the insurgent suicide squad but called for an investigation to determine how the militants entered the city. The attacks have been blamed on the Taliban-linked Haqqani network.
"The terrorists' infiltration in Kabul and other provinces is an intelligence failure for us and especially for NATO and should be seriously investigated," Karzai said, according to media outlets.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen was quick to respond in an attempt to avoid engaging into a "blame game" after the attack, according to several media sources.
"I think we are in this together. We should help each other," Rasmussen said.
The attacks lasted 17 hours and have raised concerns over if these recent incidents will fuel future attacks going into the summer. Questions have also risen as to whether the Afghan government or international military can do anything to stop Haqqani network attacks.
Within the last year, Kabul has seen high-profile attacks such as the offensives launched on the U.S. embassy in September. Although most fighting action takes place away from Kabul, protective measures are still needed in the bustling capital city.
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: email@example.com