The Canadian Government announced Tuesday it will issued a ban on the street drug known as "bath salts" following the gruesome face-eating attack in Miami, Florida. In an official statement, Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq said the government will outlaw the active ingredient in the drug, a chemical known as MDPV.
"Let's be clear. These are not typical household bath salts. They are not the Epsom salts or the scented crystals that you find in many Canadian homes and pharmacies," Aglukkaq said in a press conferences. "These are drugs, serious drugs."
Fredericton (New Brunswick) Police Chief Barry MacKnight, chair of the drug-abuse committee of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, also spoke on the decision.
"This drug, along with the behaviors associated to those who have been using the bath salts, are a serious concern to the police and many others in our communities," MacKnight said.
"This is sending a strong message to Canadians and especially young Canadians, that this drug is harmful, while also allowing enforcement agencies to deal with those who victimize some of the most vulnerable in our communities — the young and those suffering from addiction — by selling this drug."
The drug became infamous after an attack last month in Miami, Florida by Rudy Eugene. Eugene, 31, who was thought to be on the drug at the time of the attack, beat 65-year-old homeless man Ronald Poppo and then proceeded to consume most of the flesh and muscle on his face. Eugene was shot dead by police when he refused to stop feeding. Poppo is alive but has a long recovery, doctors say.
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: email@example.com