Most of the victims of the stage collapse at last year's Indiana State Fair have agreed to accept shares of a $13.2 million settlement offer from the state and two private companies, according to the Indiana Attorney General's office.
The office said 51 of the 62 eligible claimants have accepted the settlement; the remaining claimants have until Wednesday at midnight to sign on.
However, some victims have decided to sue Sugarland, who were said to continue on with the show heedless of weather warnings, for damages. That trial date has been set for April 1, 2014.
An attorney for those victims, Kenneth J. Allen, previously released a video of Jennifer Nettles's testimony, saying that it was necessary to control deception on the part of Sugarland's publicists:
"All we've tried to do is to . . . control what we believe to be the false assertions made by the other side. And I think that's what the rule contemplates," Allen said (according to the Washington Examiner). "We have the right and duty to rebut it and that's what we've done."
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org