A U.S. court has turned down the request of actress Cindy Lee Garcia to remove from YouTube trailer of the anti-Islam film that sparked riots in the Muslim world, and even led to the killings of U.S. envoy to Libya Christopher Stevens and three of his colleagues last week.
in a lawsuit against Google, which owns YouTube, and a man linked to the film, Garcia said she had received death threats over the film trailer.
Garcia complained that she had been misled by the maker of the amateur movie and was unaware of its anti-Muslim content. The incendiary film's alleged U.S. producer Nakoula Basseley Nakoula is on the run since the trailer with Arabic sub-titles that mocked Prophet Muhammad stirred Muslim wrath worldwide.
Rejecting the U.S. actress' request, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Luis Lavin said on Thursday that he could not allow the plea partly because the man who is believed to have made the film had not been served a copy of the lawsuit. "The request for a temporary restraining order is denied," the judge said.
Lavin also pointed out that Garcia had not been able to produce an agreement relating to her role in the film, and as a third-party, Google and YouTube were protected from liability.
Before moving the court, Garcia said she had been left emotionally disturbed by the fallout from the film trailer. "My whole life has been turned upside down in every aspect. My family has been threatened."
Garcia described the film as "demoralizing, degrading. I think it needs to come off [YouTube]." The low-budget film had already been banned in Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Pakistan, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia. As many as 30 people have been killed in seven countries in violence triggered by the film "Innocence of Muslims" that portrayed the Prophet as a fraud, child molester and womanizer.
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org