logo
Share SHARE
FONT-SIZE Plus   Neg

YouTube Blocked In Egypt For 30 Days

An Egyptian court on Saturday ordered the government to block YouTube, a video-sharing website, for 30 days for showing a film allegedly anti-Islamic and offensive to followers. The Cairo court asked the ministries of investments and communications to block the film "Innocence of Muslims" as YouTube had failed to remove it from its website.

The order was issued by Judge Hassouna Tawfiq, who ruled that the film was "offensive to Islam and the Prophet." The film caused much furor with widespread riots claiming several lives in Islamic countries around the world. The Cairo court said the website, YouTube, ignored the feelings of Egyptians, and was a sign of disrespect to Islam. Nevertheless, reports indicate that the ruling could be appealed.

In early September, hundreds of Egyptians gathered around the U.S. embassy in Cairo to protest against the movie, as it insulted Muslim community and Prophet Mohammed. At least one person was killed and over 200 others injured during the protest.

The movie also infuriated Muslims worldwide, which was marred by protests and violence in several countries. In Libya, amidst the protests, militants killed four U.S. diplomats including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya. YouTube was blocked in several countries including Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia.

In November, 2012, a Cairo court had sentenced to death in absentia seven Egyptian for involvement in making the film.

by RTT Staff Writer

For comments and feedback: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Editors Pick
HSBC is reportedly laying off about 100 of its senior investment bankers worldwide, as the banking giant strives to curb operating costs. According to reports, the London-headquartered bank will eliminate managing director and director level employees at the Global Banking and Markets division, as... Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (SMSN.L, SSNNF.OB, SSNLF.OB) will reportedly blame faulty batteries for last year's Galaxy Note 7 fiasco. According to a Wall Street Journal report, Samsung's investigation of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones found that some batteries were irregularly sized while others had... Federal investigators have closed their probe of a fatal crash that involved a Tesla Motors Inc. car eight months ago. The regulators said they have found no safety defects in the vehicle's automated driving system and that Tesla's Autopilot-enabled vehicles did not need to be recalled.
comments powered by Disqus
Follow RTT