At least seven people have been injured after a suicide bomber detonated his explosive-laden vest near a bus carrying army personnel in the Afghan capital city of Kabul, media reports citing local officials said Wednesday.
The suicide bomber, who approached the bus on foot, was the only fatality in the resultant explosion. Although no group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, local authorities are blaming Taliban militants for the bombing.
Currently, there are over 104,900 foreign troops from more than 48 countries in Afghanistan to contain a resurgent Taliban in the war-ravaged South Asian country. The United States continues to be the single biggest contributor to the force.
Notably, US President Barack Obama said in his State of the Union speech delivered earlier this month that his administration plans to withdraw nearly half of the 66,000 American troops in Afghanistan by early 2014.
The US and other allied nations involved in the Afghan mission are currently making serious efforts to get the Afghan security forces ready and capable of handling the country's security before the planned withdrawal of coalition troops by the end of 2014.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has already begun the process of entrusting security responsibilities of the country to Afghan forces in a gradual manner. However, there are wide concerns about the ability of Afghan security forces to counter Taliban insurgency without the same level of foreign military assistance and presence.
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org