logo
Plus   Neg
Share
Email

ConocoPhillips Expands 2018 Share Buyback Program To $3 Bln - Quick Facts

ConocoPhillips (COP) said it has increased its planned 2018 share repurchase program by 50 percent, from $2 billion to $3 billion. The company expects to fully fund this year's $3 billion program, as well as its dividend and capital expenditures, with cash from operations.

ConocoPhillips noted that the 2018 expansion to $3 billion, combined with the $3 billion of shares it repurchased during 2016 and 2017, will fully utilize the board of directors' existing share repurchase authorization of $6 billion. As a result, the board has authorized an additional $9 billion for share repurchases, bringing its total program authorization to $15 billion.

ConocoPhillips initiated its current share repurchase program in late 2016. Including shares already repurchased under this program, as well as future repurchases based on the current share price, the $15 billion authorization represents about 20 percent of the total shares outstanding as of September 30, 2016.

The company paid down $2.1 billion of balance sheet debt during the second quarter, thereby achieving its stated debt target of $15 billion significantly earlier than the original target date of year-end 2019.

Ryan Lance, chairman and CEO of ConocoPhillips said, "We've lowered our sustaining price and the cost of supply of our resource base, deleveraged the balance sheet, focused on free cash flow generation, and maintained consistency in our approach to distributions and capital spending. Today's announcement is another proof point that we remain committed to delivering per-share production and cash flow expansion with compelling through-cycle returns to shareholders."

For comments and feedback contact: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Quick Facts

Editors Pick
Following the sell-off seen in the previous session, stocks showed another significant move to the downside during trading on Tuesday. With the continued drop, the tech-heavy Nasdaq fell to its lowest closing level in over seven months. A federal judge in San Francisco has temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's plan to restrict asylum claims by illegal immigrants. In a ruling issued late Monday, U.S. District Court Judge Jon Tigar accused the Trump administration of trying to rewrite immigration laws. Bank of England Governor Mark Carney welcomed the draft Brexit deal and the transition arrangement that the British Prime Minister Theresa May struck with the European Union last week, but warned that the risks of a "no-deal, no-transition" scenario remained very high. Speaking at a Treasury Select Committee hearing, Carney said, "We welcome the transition arrangements in the withdrawal deal."
Follow RTT