logo
Plus   Neg
Share
Email

21st Century Fox Cleared For Sky Takeover Bid

The U.K. government Thursday has cleared proposed deal for Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox (FOX,FOXA) to buy Sky Plc. (BSY.L,SKY.L).

The U.K. Secretary of State for Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Jeremy Wright said, "It is now a matter for the Sky shareholders to decide whether to accept 21st Century Fox's bid."

On Wednesday, Comcast Corp. (CMCSK,CMCSA) increased cash offer for Sky to 26 billion pounds or about $34 billion. The move by Comcast came less than a day after 21st Century Fox increased its offer to 24.5 billion pounds.

Wright's predecessor Matt Hancock said last month that Fox's proposal to divest Sky News to Walt Disney co (DIS), or to an alternative buyer could potentially remedy the public interest concerns identified.

Separately, Sky today said it welcomed written ministerial statement by the Secretary of State for Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport regarding 21CF's offer for Sky.

Sky said, "21CF's offer for Sky has now cleared its outstanding regulatory pre-conditions. This follows the satisfaction by Comcast on 15 June 2018 of its outstanding regulatory pre-conditions, meaning both offers for Sky are now capable of being put formally to Sky Shareholders."

For comments and feedback contact: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Quick Facts

Editors Pick
South Africa's consumer price inflation accelerated in October after remaining unchanged in the previous month, preliminary figures from Statistics South Africa showed on Wednesday. The consumer price index rose 5.1 percent year-on-year following a 4.9 percent increase in both August and September.... Following the sell-off seen in the previous session, stocks showed another significant move to the downside during trading on Tuesday. With the continued drop, the tech-heavy Nasdaq fell to its lowest closing level in over seven months. A federal judge in San Francisco has temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's plan to restrict asylum claims by illegal immigrants. In a ruling issued late Monday, U.S. District Court Judge Jon Tigar accused the Trump administration of trying to rewrite immigration laws.
Follow RTT