AC/DC and Metallica were among the most popular bands on the road this year, according to data released by Pollstar this week.
Pollstar's annual top-grossing tour list, based on data provided by concert promoters and venue managers, ranked AC/DC as the fifth top touring band of 2009, with Metallica rolling in at number ten.
AC/DC's tour raked in $77.9 million, while Metallica earned $53.4 million. U2's 360° tour brought in $123 million to take the top spot.
Metallica and AC/DC are also among the bands boasting top paperless ticket sales, Ticketmaster reports. AC/DC's Black Ice world tour sold the second most paperless tickets, while Metallica's September 15, 2008 show at London's O2 arena was the largest single paperless event.
Pollstar's top ten touring acts of 2009 are listed below.
1. U2 - $123 million
2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - $94.5 million
3. Elton John and Billy Joel - $88 million
4. Britney Spears - $82.5 million
5. AC/DC - $77.9 million
6. Kenny Chesney - $71.1 million
7. Jonas Brothers - $69.8 million
8. Dave Matthews Band - $56.9 million
9. Fleetwood Mac - $54.5 million
10. Metallica - $53.4 million
by RTT Staff Writer
For comments and feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org