logo
Share SHARE
FONT-SIZE Plus   Neg

Reports: PG&E Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges From San Bruno Pipeline Blast

Public utility company PG&E Corp. (PCG) on Monday pleaded not guilty to federal charges against its utility unit in connection with the fatal 2010 gas pipeline explosion and fire in San Bruno, California, according to media reports on Monday.

The September 9, 2010 explosion of PG&E's natural gas pipeline in San Bruno, California, killed eight people, injured 58 others and destroyed a residential neighborhood. PG&E's Pacific Gas and Electric Co. unit was the target of a criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of California on behalf of the U.S. Department of Justice.

In early April, the utility was indicted by a federal grand jury for the Northern District of California and charged with 12 felony counts of violating safety regulations leading up to the deadly blast in San Bruno. The indictment alleges PG&E of "knowingly and willfully" violating the Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act or PSA of 1968 and its regulations between 2003 and 2010.

According to the indictment, the charges stem from PG&E's record keeping and pipeline "integrity management" practices. The indictment alleges that PG&E failed to address recordkeeping deficiencies concerning its larger natural gas pipelines, knowing that their records were inaccurate or incomplete.

PG&E could reportedly face nearly $3.5 million in statutory penalties if found guilty of all 12 felonies. An indictment merely alleges that crimes have been committed, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

PG&E has spent more than $1 billion on safety improvements since the explosion, which regulators have said could be counted toward paying the fine.

PG&E said that following the San Bruno accident, it adopted new, rigorous pipeline safety standards. PG&E Chairman and CEO Tony Earley, who was brought in to lead PG&E in 2011 after the San Bruno accident, has noted in late March that the company committed $2.7 billion of shareholders' money to date and the company was making excellent operational progress.

The company has settled claims amounting to nearly $500 million with the victims and families of the San Bruno accident, established a $50 million trust for the City of San Bruno for costs related to recovery, and contributed $70 million to support the city's and community's recovery efforts.

PCG closed Monday's trading at $44.78, down $0.09 or 0.20 percent on a volume of 1.81 million shares.

by RTT Staff Writer

For comments and feedback: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Editors Pick
World's largest oil company Saudi Aramco's initial public offering is on track and the listing will be in the second half of 2018, CEO Amin Nasser said in an exclusive interview with CNBC. There have been reports that the much awaited IPO might be delayed by one year. Taco Bell, the Mexican fast food chain of Yum! Brands Inc., is reportedly testing a new dessert product called the "Kit Kat Chocoladilla" at select locations in Wisconsin. It was tested last year in the UK. Nick Caporella, the chief executive officer of National Beverage Corp., has lashed out at short sellers after his company's shares declined more than 22 percent this month from their September 11 peak. In a statement, Caporella noted that less than 15 percent of the daily volume traded on major exchanges is financially driven by company fundamentals.
comments powered by Disqus
Follow RTT