logo
Plus   Neg
Share
Email

Rio Tinto To Sell Its Interest In Grasberg Mine In Indonesia - Quick Facts

Rio Tinto plc (RTPPF.PK,RIO.L,RIO,RTNTF.PK) announced that the company, PT Indonesia Asahan Aluminium (Persero) (Inalum), and Freeport McMoran Inc. (FCX) have signed a non-binding agreement in relation to the future ownership of the Grasberg mine in Indonesia. The Heads of Agreement details the proposed principal terms for the sale of Rio Tinto's entire interest in Grasberg to Inalum, Indonesia's state mining company, for $3.5 billion.

The agreement also sets out a proposed transaction between FCX and Inalum for the latter to buy an additional stake in Grasberg as well as additional terms relating to the future ownership and operation of Grasberg.

The Grasberg mine in Indonesia is currently owned by FCX, who hold a 90.64 percent interest, and the Government of Indonesia, who own the remaining 9.36 percent. In line with a participation agreement signed on 11 October 1996, Rio Tinto currently has a right to 40 percent of production above a pre agreed level and 40 percent of all production after 2022.

For comments and feedback contact: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Editors Pick
Shares of Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA) surged 12% in extended trading session on Wednesday after the luxury electric car maker reported a surprise third-quarter profit, which trumped Wall Street estimates. Looking forward, the company said it is "highly confident" to exceed 360,000 deliveries this year. Palo... Spotify is offering free Google Home Mini speakers to all new and existing Spotify Premium users in the U.S. The music streaming service said Tuesday that the Google Home Mini offer is for all eligible Premium Individual and Premium Family master account users in the U.S. The offer is available through November 15, or until supplies last. Federal Cartridge recalled about 3,100 units of Blackhawk T-Series L2C gun holsters due to injury hazard, a statement published by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said. The safety switch on the firearm can change its position without the knowledge of the user due to the holster design, causing the gun to fire if the trigger is pulled and pose injury hazard to the user and bystander.
Follow RTT
>