logo
  

Hyundai Motor Completes Acquisition Of Boston Dynamics From SoftBank

South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. (HYMLF.OB,HYMTF.OB) Monday said it has completed the acquisition of a controlling interest in Boston Dynamics from SoftBank Group Corp. (SFTBY.PK,SFTBF.PK).

The deal was closed after receiving regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. The deal valued the mobile robot firm at $1.1 billion. Additional financial details were not disclosed.

Hyundai Motor currently holds an 80 percent stake in Boston Dynamics and SoftBank, through one of its affiliates, retains the remaining 20 percent stake.

Hyundai Motor and Boston Dynamics will create a robotics value chain, from robot component manufacturing to smart logistics solutions. Additionally, the company will support Boston Dynamics' continued expansion of its product line and global sales and service footprint.

With the purchase of Boston Dynamics, Hyundai Motor said it takes a major step toward its strategic transformation into a Smart Mobility Solution Provider. The company has invested substantially in the development of future technologies, including autonomous driving, artificial intelligence or AI, Urban Air Mobility or UAM, smart factories and robots.

Boston Dynamics launched sales of its first commercial robot, Spot in June of 2020 and now has hundreds of robots operating in a variety of industries. The company also recently unveiled Stretch, its first commercial robot specifically designed for warehouse facilities and distribution centers.

For comments and feedback contact: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Editors Pick
Shares of Deutsche Telekom AG were gaining more than 1 percent in the morning trading in Germany after the telecom major on Thursday raised its fiscal 2022 earnings outlook again, despite reporting lower profit in its second quarter. Adjusted EBITDA AL, a key earnings metric, increased, while adjusted EBITDA AL margin dropped. Lyons Magnus LLC has expanded its initial recall of nutritional and beverage products to include additional brands and code dates, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced. The products were recalled due to the potential for microbial contamination, including from the organisms Cronobacter sakazakii and Clostridium botulinum. Tesla Inc. founder and CEO Elon Musk has sold some of his stake in the luxury electric car maker to avoid an emergency sale of its stock in the event of a forceful Twitter deal. Twitter Inc. and Tesla shares were gaining more than 4 percent in the pre-market activity on the NYSE and Nasdaq, respectively, following the news.
Follow RTT