logo
  

Rio Tinto Proposes To Buy Full Ownership Of Turquoise Hill

Rio Tinto plc (RTPPF.PK,RIO.L,RIO,RTNTF.PK), on Monday, announced that has made a non-binding proposal to the Turquoise Hill Board to acquire about 49% of the issued and outstanding shares of Turquoise Hill that Rio Tinto does not currently own.

As per the the terms of the proposed transaction, Turquoise Hill minority shareholders would receive C$34 in cash per Turquoise Hill share, representing a premium of 32% to Turquoise Hill's last closing share price on the Toronto Stock Exchange. This proposal would value the Turquoise Hill minority share capital at about US$2.7 billion.

If the proposed transaction is successful Rio Tinto would hold a 66% interest in Oyu Tolgoi with the remaining 34% owned by Mongolia.

Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm said, "Rio Tinto strongly believes in the long-term success of Oyu Tolgoi and Mongolia, and delivering for all stakeholders over the long-term. That is why we want to increase our interest in Oyu Tolgoi, simplify the ownership structure, and further strengthen Rio Tinto's copper portfolio. We believe the terms of proposal are compelling for Turquoise Hill shareholders."

For comments and feedback contact: editorial@rttnews.com

Business News

Editors Pick
Ride-hailing company Lyft announced its foray into the media and advertisement business with the launch of Lyft Media as part of its vision to build the world's largest transportation media network. Lyft Media has built a suite of new products to allow advertisers to engage with Lyft's growing audience throughout their transportation journeys. Sysco Corp. (SYY) Tuesday reported a more than a three-times surge in fourth-quarter earnings, supported by 17.5 percent growth in sales. The company projects fiscal 2023 adjusted earnings to grow. Earnings for the quarter spiked to $509.99 million from $151.09 million last year. On a per share basis,... Longmont Colorado -based Royal Crest Dairy is recalling 2% Chocolate Milk citing the potential to be contaminated with undeclared egg, a known allergen, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said. The recall involves Farmer's 2% Reduced Fat Chocolate Milk Pints with the code date of AUG-22.
Follow RTT