The American forces in Afghanistan, known as United States Forces-Afghanistan, said Tuesday that it has learned that 65 dangerous individuals from a group of 88 detainees under dispute have been ordered released from the Afghan National Detention Facility at Parwan.
Incidentally, the US-controlled Parwan Detention Facility was handed over to Afghan Government last year after it became a growing source of tension between the two governments.
The US insists that it has on several occasions provided extensive information and evidence on each of the 88 detainees to the Afghan Review Board, the Afghan National Directorate of Security and the Attorney General's office.
US Defense Department leaders view the militants considered for release to be legitimate threats to Afghanistan's national security. They also believe that the evidence provided is strong enough for prosecuting or investigating each of the detainees further.
The US Forces-Afghanistan said in a statement on Tuesday that the decision of the Afghan authorities to release the dangerous militants from prison "violates agreements between the U.S. and Afghanistan."
"We have made clear our judgment that these individuals should be prosecuted under Afghan law. We requested that the cases be carefully reviewed. But the evidence against them was never seriously considered, including by the Attorney General, given the short time since the decision was made to transfer these cases to the Afghan legal system," the statement read.
The American force stressed that the release of 65 detainees is a legitimate safety concern for both coalition troops and Afghan National Security Forces. It noted that the primary weapon of choice for these individuals is the improvised explosive device , widely recognized as the primary cause of civilian casualties in Afghanistan.
Roadside bombings using improvised explosive devices, commonly known as IEDs, have become a hallmark of Taliban strategy against NATO forces in the country, as it avoids direct confrontation with the troops while increasing casualties.
"The release of these detainees is a major step backward for the rule of law in Afghanistan. Some previously-released individuals have already returned to the fight, and this subsequent release will allow dangerous insurgents back into Afghan cities and villages," the statement concluded.
The US and other allied nations involved in the Afghan mission are currently making serious efforts to get Afghan security forces ready and capable of handling the country's security before the planned withdrawal of international coalition troops end 2014.
Although NATO and its member-states have welcomed the transfer of security responsibilities to Afghan forces as a major milestone in the country's future development, there are widespread concerns about the ability of Afghan security forces to counter Taliban insurgency without foreign military assistance.
For comments and feedback contact: editorial@rttnews.com
Market Analysis
May 15, 2026 15:25 ET Apart from the confirmation of Kevin Warsh as the next Fed chair, the main news on the economics front this week included key price data from the U.S. and the first quarter economic growth figures from major economies. Both consumer prices and producer costs have started to reflect the effect of supply shocks due to the Middle East conflict. In Europe, GDP data was in focus, while inflation data from China dominated the news flow in Asia.