Health News
FONT-SIZE Plus   Neg
Share SHARE
mail  E-MAIL

Man Catches Fire After Using Spray Sunscreen

Man Catches Fire After Using Spray Sunscreen
6/5/2012 2:00 PM ET

Massachusetts resident Brett Sigworth is recovering this week after suffering second degree burns when the sun block on his skin caught fire. Vapors from the product spontaneously ignited as the man approached his grill.

"I went into complete panic mode and screamed," Sigworth said. "I've never experienced pain like that in my life."

Sigworth was using Banana Boat brand sunscreen at the time and while the label does explain the product is flammable, it does not indicate that it can catch fire after applied.

"We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously," the company wrote in an official statement.

Dan Dillard, CEO of the Burn Prevention Network, spoke with to Good Morning America to explain how the incident occurred.

"As he approached the flame, the charcoal simply caught the vapor trail and it follows the vapor trail to where the bulk of the substance is, which is on his body," said Dillard.

Click here to receive FREE breaking news email alerts for and others in your portfolio

by RTT Staff Writer

For comments and feedback: editorial@rttnews.com

Health News

comments powered by Disqus
FREE Newsletters, Analysis & Alerts

 

Stay informed with our FREE daily Newsletters and real-time breaking News Alerts. Sign up to receive the latest information on business news, health, technology, biotech, market analysis, currency trading and more.