logo

Asian Economic News

Share

Taiwan's export orders declined unexpectedly in April, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs showed on Friday. Export orders fell 5.5 percent year-on-year in April. Economists had expected an 8.3 percent growth. Orders for optical, photographic, cinematographic apparatus declined 27.7 percent...

chinacentralbank oct08 20may22 China's central bank unexpectedly lowered its lending rates for long-term loans, a move that is set to prop up lending to the property market. The five-year loan prime rate, or LPR, the benchmark for mortgage rates, was lowered by a record 15 basis points to 4.45 percent from 4.60 percent, the People's Bank of China said Friday. This was the second reduction this year.

Consumer prices in Japan were up 2.5 percent on year in April, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications said on Friday. That exceeded expectations for an increase of 2.4 percent and was up sharply from 1.2 percent in March. Core CPI, which excludes volatile food prices, was up 2.1 percent...

Japan will on Friday see April figures for nationwide consumer prices, highlighting a modest day for Asia-Pacific economic activity. Core CPI is expected to rise 2.1 percent on year, up from 0.8 percent in March. Overall inflation was up 0.4 percent on month and 1.2 percent on year in March. New...

Producer prices in South Korea jumped 9.2 percent on year in April, the Bank of Korea said on Friday - accelerating from 9.0 percent in March. Individually, prices were down 1.5 percent on year for agricultural, forestry and marine products; up 14.4 percent for manufacturing products; up 16.0 percent...

philippneflag may08 19may22 The Philippine central bank increased its benchmark interest rate for the first time in three-and-a-half years on Thursday, with an aim to curtail elevated inflation as domestic economic conditions started to rebound in the first quarter. The Monetary Board decided to raise its benchmark overnight...

Hong Kong's unemployment and underemployment rate increased in April, the labor force statistics from the Census and Statistics Department showed on Thursday. The unemployment rate rose to a seasonally adjusted 5.4 percent in the three months to April from 5.0 percent during the January-March period. The...

Malaysia's trade surplus decreased in April with exports and imports increasing at softer paces, data from the statistical office showed on Thursday. Exports rose 20.7 percent year-on-year in April, after a 25.3 percent growth in March. Economists had expected a growth of 19.7 percent. Imports...

The unemployment rate in Australia came in at a seasonally adjusted 3.9 percent in April, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said on Thursday - in line with expectations and down from 4.0 percent in March. The Australian economy added 4,000 jobs last month - well shy of expectations for the addition...

The value of core machine orders in Japan was up 7.6 percent on year in March, the Cabinet Office said on Thursday - coming in at 869.5 billion yen. That beat forecasts for an increase of 3.7 percent and was up from 4.3 percent in February. On a seasonally adjusted monthly basis, core machine orders...

Japan posted a merchandise trade deficit of 839.2 billion yen in April, the Ministry of Finance said on Thursday. That beat expectations for a shortfall of 1,150 billion yen following the downwardly revised 414.1 billion yen deficit in March (originally a 412.4 billion yen deficit). Exports were...

Producer price inputs in New Zealand were up 3.6 percent on quarter in the first quarter of 2022, Statistics New Zealand said on Thursday - accelerating from 1.1 percent in the three months prior. PPI outputs rose 2.6 percent on quarter, up from 1.4 percent in the previous three months. Farm expenses...

Australia will on Thursday release April jobless figures, highlighting a busy day for Asia-Pacific economic activity. The jobless rate is expected to dip to 3.9 percent from 4.0 percent in March, with the addition of 30,000 jobs following the gain of 17,900 jobs in the previous month. Japan will...

Japan's industrial production rose in March, as initially estimated, latest data from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry said on Wednesday. Industrial production grew a seasonally adjusted 0.3 percent monthly in March, as estimated. Shipments and the inventory ratio rose 0.6 percent each...

Japan's gross domestic product contracted an annualized 1.0 percent in the first quarter of 2022, the Cabinet Office said in Wednesday's preliminary reading. That exceeded expectations for a decline of 1.8 percent following the downwardly revised 3.8 percent increase in the previous three months (originally...

Follow RTT