logo

Growin' Like A Weed: These Are The World's 10 Biggest Marijuana Companies

1 / 11
Ten largest marijuana companies
Ten largest marijuana companies

The marijuana industry is growing by leaps and bounds, making it one of the fastest growing industries on the planet.

According to cannabis research firm ArcView and its research partner BDS Analytics, spending on legal cannabis worldwide is expected to reach $57 billion by 2027. The adult use, or recreational market, is expected to cover 67 percent of the spending, while medical marijuana will account for the remaining 33 percent.

Also read Ten largest cannabis producing countries

Canada legalized medical cannabis way back in 2001 and is home to many of the largest cannabis companies in the world.
The federal government has announced plans to legalize adult use later this year, which would make Canada the first G7 country to federally legalize adult use.

Uruguay is the first country in the modern era to legalize cannabis. Many countries have decriminalized the once taboo drug, but still prohibit its sales.

Canada’s marijuana industry has evolved a lot more than many other countries and is not hampered by restrictions across state lines, as in the U.S.

In the U.S., nine states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana. Medical marijuana is legal in 29 states.

The marijuana industry is rapidly transiting out of the black market and turning into a mainstream economic juggernaut. The industry is expected to generate thousands of new jobs, providing business opportunities, and creating significant ripple effects across the U.S.

Here is a list of the world’s top ten marijuana companies, based on The Marijuana Index. It excludes Scotts Miracle-Gro as it devotes only a small percentage of its sales to cannabis.